Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Art is Therapy

Today's post started out with simply wanting to share two pictures. As I began typing it somehow turned into a very personal post but I put it out there in the hopes that it will help at least one person. And if it does, then it was worth sharing.

Some days are hard- like really hard, and there isn't necessarily a reason for this. Accepting that fact alone is hard enough. I know that it is a chemical imbalance which causes me to disappear into a dark hole. And I also know that I need to work hard to claw my way out again. But I have gotten to a point in my life now where I can work through a dark patch. It might only take a few days, sometimes it can take weeks (even months) but deep down I know that it will get better- with time.


Over the years I have tried different things to cope (some more healthy than others) but now I know that art is my therapy on those days. It is my saving grace when I need to be alone. It is my main method of coping and a huge part of how I reach the light at the end of the tunnel.


I wouldn't be where I am, or who I am without my mountains of sketchbooks/notebooks that I've used to work through my thoughts and emotions. Many notebooks from my teen years I have watched burn with great satisfaction- knowing that that part of my life is over. These days the colours are brighter, the words are less scary and I tend to accompany it with a cup of peppermint tea. That alone proves to me how far I have come.

-Rhiannon

No comments:

Post a Comment