Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cinnamon Twists (+ recipe)

I spend far too much time searching through Pinterest and drooling over all the cakes, stews, scrolls, scones, pasta, vegan alternatives and everything in between. So when I asked Dan what he would like me to bake today (I had an itch and needed to bake something) he said Cinnamon Twists. I thought 'hmmmm...this could be good. I haven't made those before'. I actually wondered if I had even eaten one before- I don't think I have. After finding a recipe, I realised that I had most of the ingredients so it would be relatively cheap to make too- an added bonus. 

I didn't need to search Pinterest long to find the perfect recipe.

Cinnamon TwistsThey took all day to make because of the rising times but I can't tell you how delicious they were. The wait is worth it- trust me! Cinnamon Twists
They were light and fluffy with a nice strong cinnamon kick.
Cinnamon Twists Cinnamon Twists And of course I added a drizzled glaze on the top, but it's not necessary.
Cinnamon Twists  I recommend a nice strong cup of black coffee and one of these. It was the best way to deal with a horrible headache (turn migraine) that I have had all day today.

Find the original recipe over here. I used soy milk instead of regular milk and increased the amount of cinnamon by a lot as I thought the original amounts were rather weak. It is a cinnamon twist after all.

Ingredients:
The twists:
3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter
3/4 teaspoon salt 2 eggs
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (or to taste)
The glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
Splash of soy milk

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat and stir 3/4 cup milk, granulated sugar, 1/3 cup butter and salt just until warm and the butter is almost melted. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Add the two eggs and beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Then continue to beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface; cover. Let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 2 hours).
3. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper and set aside. Roll the dough in to a large (20x16-inch) rectangle.
4. In a small saucepan, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon; mix well. Cool slightly and spread mixture evenly over dough. Cut dough crosswise into twenty 1-inch strips. Fold each strip in half, end to end, and twist several times. Arrange twists 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15-20 mins.
5. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
6. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, 2 teaspoon cinnamon and enough soy milk (2 to 3 tablespoons) to make drizzling consistency. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over rolls when warm.

Have a fantastic weekend! 
Rhiannon xxoxx

No comments:

Post a Comment