Tuesday, June 05, 2012

A mini trip to Napier, New Zealand

For work last week I was lucky enough to help out a good friend & college at the Napier Careers Expo. I had never been to Napier before but had heard it is gorgeous- it was! It had a small town feel to it, but had all the big town amenities like movie theatres, restaurants etc. I think anywhere feels like a small town compared to Auckland though haha.

A few facts about Hawkes Bay & Napier:
  • Napier (and the larger Hawkes Bay area) suffered a 2.5 minute long earthquake on 3rd February 1931. It was rebuilt in the style of that era and is now often referred to the Art Deco capital of New Zealand.
  • On the third weekend of February every year the GEON Art Deco Weekend takes place.  It features hundreds of 1920' & 30's cars, free outdoor concerts and authentic Art Deco attire.
  • Hawkes Bay is New Zealand's oldest wine region.
  • The longest place name in the world is found in central Hawkes Bay: Taumatawhakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu 
Here are a few photos of our time there:

These 6 buildings are survivors of the 1931 earthquake and now house a craft store, a restaurant, an accountant firm and more.
I think this is my favourite photo! The super long path is perfect for cycling, or even roller blading. 
This totally makes me think of California. Napier seemed to have lots of palm trees.
Some of the Art Deco architecture.
A stunning sunset in a giant park. I wanted to curl up under the tree and read a book or something. Granted it was about 7 degrees centigrade so maybe in summer? 
It's still pretty when it rains in Napier!
I didn't get to see too much of this beautiful place as we were at the Expo for most of the time, but I would love to go back during summer and explore some more.

Every time I go to another town/city I am reminded of how much I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

Rhiannon xxoxx

No comments:

Post a Comment