Monday, May 21, 2012

Running update + Garmin Forerunner 610

It has taken me quite a while to feel settled enough in the new house to even contemplate going out for a run. I'm not overly familiar with the area we are in, but I had always heard it was a bit dodgy so I didn't like the idea of going for runs when it was dark. Add in the fact that it has rained in Auckland every day for about 8 days straight, and it makes it even harder. As I learnt more about where we are I felt much more confident to go out at night and I was really looking forward to it (mixed in with apprehension as to how much fitness I had lost over those 5+ weeks)

I am useless at putting those screen protectors on as you can see haha


For my birthday (way back at the start of April) Dan and a few friends all chipped in to buy me the most amazing piece of technology for running- a sexy Garmin Forerunner 610. Oh baby, this is one sweet little watch. It capable of things I didn't even know were possible to record! The first run was more to just get out of the house and test the watch so I didn't go too far.

I have done a few longer runs now and I tell you what; the new area we are in? It's kicking my butt! The old area was flat and I had a set route that had one small hill and that was it. Where we live now consists of only hills. In fact one route is 2.5km uphill and then 2.5km down hill. So I've decided to embrace those hellish hills and am sourcing motivation from this post by Ashley on Hitting the Hills


I have a lot to learn about the science of running and techniques to improve speed/distance. At the moment though I am just trying to get my stamina back to where it was; I was able to run 6km without stopping. I'm not focusing on time as much because it would be very hard to compare considering the terrains are so different. I want to run at least 3 times a week, preferably 4 though. It is going to be interesting to be able to compare these runs beginner runs with ones at the end of next month.

Today's post doesn't have much point to it if I'm being honest. Its just me babbling about how much I love my new watch and being realistic that my May goal to reach 10km without stopping might have been a tad overzealous for the moment. 

Rhiannon xxoxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment