Saturday, January 28, 2012

Self Love & Taking responsibility

I haven't managed to do many creative things so far this year. Instead I have been focusing on myself - becoming healthier, becoming fitter but most importantly learning to love myself. A few days into January I decided I needed to spend this month on just me. No blogging, no business planning, no commitments to anyone other than myself. I needed to get into a routine and prepare myself for all of the changes I'm going to make this year. I knew that it wouldn't be possible if I wasn't in the best mental and physical state.

It began when I bought a few of Gala Darling's 'Love & Sequins' chapters. At the time I could feel that I was starting to fall into the black pit of depression again and I knew I had to stop it from getting any worse. I have managed to pull myself out before but it never lasts for long, and after nine years of being at one extreme or the other, I needed to try something different. As it happened, it seemed that the planets had aligned or something because I read later on that day that Gala Darling was having a half price sale on her Love & Sequins book. I really believe it was meant to be, so of course I bought a few chapters. I read through the PDF's and listened to her MP3's and then it seemed as obvious as the nose on my face.

"...you have to start taking responsibility for your life. 100% responsibility." 

You might say, 'well DUH.'  But think about it; how often do you blame the person driving really slowly in front of you for you getting angry or irritated? Yes they might be driving slowly but you are responsible for how you react to it. They aren't telling you to loose your temper.

Realising this is what started my journey towards self love.

Love
"Finding happiness is a life long mission. One I plan on enjoying and experiencing..."
I started to look at everything in my life as it was at that point: my mental health, my physical health, my relationships (positive & negative), my current job, my dreams and my future plans. I then started being brutally honest with myself, something that is very hard to do if it's done right. We spend our whole lives denying ourselves what is best for us because it's easier than changing - 'one more day of smoking won't kill me, another 6 months at my job won't hurt, staying 'friends' with that one person who keeps bringing you down'. I looked at e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g and by the end I was totally drained but I had clarification.

From there I started working on what needed to change - to start with my health and fitness. So I joined a gym and have already lost 5kg (11lbs) which I am ecstatic about. I am doing so much more physical activity during the weekends (rock climbing, bush walks) and I'm going to the gym 3-4 times a week before work (so I'm getting up at 5:10am) as well as changing my eating habits. My weekends, weeknights and everything in between is so full now but I feel great about it.

Here I am with my first free Saturday so far this year and I felt it was time to start sharing what I have been working on and how far I have already come. It makes me so excited to think that I can do this, that I can do anything I want to.

Bed
"A place to dream, feel safe. To feel comfortable and loved"
I will be sharing more about my journey in weeks to come, as well as re-branding, re-designing and working on everything in between.  I am hoping to be able to launch my new blog within the next 6 weeks so there is lots for me to do behind the scenes.

Rhiannon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment