Saturday, July 23, 2011

Friday Feature Artist // Francesca Galliani

This week’s Friday Featured Artist is especially exciting for me to share. Born in Italy, Francesca moved to the US when she was 19 and studied Fine Arts at Corcoran School of Art in Washington D.C. Once achieving her degree, she set out to make her mark on the world. Her work has appeared in internationally acclaimed fashion magazines such as Vogue, Glamour, Velvet, Zoom and more. She has exhibited extensively worldwide including New York City, Berlin, Paris, Dubai, Rome, Sydney and Hamburg. Francesca's work is highly sought after both by the fashion industry and independent collectors.

Her unique work combines my love for thought provoking photography and mixed media. Each piece has a strong personality and her limited use of colour adds to the overall feeling. I love seeing text included in fine art too; it isn't commonly done with a practice. I guess this is one of the reasons I love art journaling so much. I get to make art and write :)

If you would like to know more about Francesca check out her bio page.
Francesca was kind enough to answer a few questions about her career and work. Hope you enjoy!


**Note: Francesca's work contains nudity and can be quite provocative. Please be aware of this as some are included in the post below.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and how you got to this point in your career?
I am an artist and my media is a combination of: photography, painting and collage. I have a bachelor degree in fine art from the Corcoran School of Art in Washinghton DC. When I first started, I thought I was just going to be a fine art and fashion photographer. School gave me a strong foundation by teaching me painting, figure drawing, tridimensional design, graphics etc. that on my own I would have never thought of learning. It expended my development. At first I was fighting it. I didn't understand the use of it because all I wanted to do was photography. Later it all came together and that learning helped me to express myself the way I do today. I got to this point of my career by working very hard, by persevering, by not giving up when it gets hard.


What is the hardest thing about being an independent photographer?
Dealing and taking in the success and keep on moving when it doesn't go my way.


What inspires you to create?
Life. Going to museums, galleries. Also creating is a process. There are times I don't feel creative. In those periods I have to stay still and trust that it is part of the process.


When you started your Bachelor's Degree in Fine Art from Corcoran School of Art in Washington D.C, was your intention to combine photography and fine art? If not, how did it come about?
It was not my intention to combine different media. I thought I was going to be a fine art and fashion photographer. It came about just by allowing the process to happen. I believe, as artists, we are channels. To create means listening to your instinct and allowing it to take you wherever it takes you.


What was the most important thing you have been taught?
There are many things I I have been taught. One of them is: never give up and do what you fear the most.


What camera(s) do you use?
I use a Hasselblad and a Canon.


Do you have any advice for an aspiring artist?
Follow your instinct. Do not create what you think others might like.


Where would you like to be in 5 years?
My goal is to be represented by few prestigious galleries worldwide that believe in my work and together we can take my career to the next level and to have my work shown in major museums worldwide. I want to keep touching people's heart and continue to carry a positive message through my art.

Make sure you check out more of Francesca's amazing work over on her website

I hope you enjoyed this weeks Feature Artist and I want to thank Francesca again for taking the time to share with us about her work.

Rhiannon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment