Friday, September 10, 2010

September work

It is getting crazy busy at work at the moment so I'm getting pretty tired and am finding myself quite drained once I get home. It's been quite hard this week to get done what I wanted to. It might be time to try and get back into my weekly planning to help balancing work and course work and everything else.

I haven't posted too much work so far this month so thought it might be time for an update =)

This week I have been totally inspired by Kmye Chan (previous blog post) and I have copied one of her pieces to get the hang of watercolours again. i haven't used them in so long

My super messy and disorganised workspace (but I know where everything is remember)...the colour wheel poster came with on of my partners ImagineFX magazines. Has been quite useful to have it right in front of me all the time.

I love my workspace =)

I did this quite a few weeks ago now (possibly months?)- this is one of my major painting pieces experimenting with patterns and geometrical shapes. 6"x 6" canvas.

Experimentation with the colour wheel using different mediums: acrylic paint on cardboard & oil pastels with terps to blend them together.

A bit of a play around with one of my favourite aspects from Kmye Chan - soft curls and swirls
 
Then I had my first actual play with watercolours on proper watercolour paper. It is such a different medium to use that it took quite a bit of getting used to.

I did this on the first day of spring which turned out to be spectacularly sunny and beautiful.

Drawing with Ink - an exercise from the TLC course book. I like how to turned out like a caricature (even though that wasn't my intention).

Another try but with paint. I used different shades in the hair which I thought worked really well.
I guess your sensing a bit of a theme here with Kmye Chan? Well I actually want to incorporate some of her style into a watercolour painting of my own. I like that the subject of her her art seems to focus on flora & fauna intertwined with the human form.
I also haven't done a full portrait from sketch to finished before and wanted to do a test one before i leap into one of my major pieces. I figured the best way would be to copy one to get used to the stages: planning, sketching, line work, painting and shading etc. Here is the result so far:

The sketching and line work took between 1 and 1 1/2 hours.

I love how the colours worked. It took so long to do her hair; a total of 1 1/2 hours. It is quite meticulous work but very relaxing.

Morning doodle when stuck in traffic for 45mins!
I haven't posted all week and I have so much to say but I think I will do another post later instead.

Rhiannon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment