Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pineapple + Banana Green Smoothie

This post is part of a neat monthly blogging event called Our Growing Edge which was the brain child of a rather rad foodie who lives over at Bunny Eats Design. If you want to know more about this event and find out how to become involved, pop over and have a read of the details.

Last year I had it on my list to jump on the bandwagon and see what all the fuss was about over these Green Smoothies. I kept reading about them everywhere- different recipes, the great health benefits, the fact that it doesn't taste like 'green' despite its colour. I have to admit that I put it off this long because all I could imagine was drinking spinach (not overly appetising). But with the end of year blow-out over, I thought I would my body a favour and give it a go. If I didn't like it, then I would chuck it and that would be that. At least I would have tried it.

I decided to start with something that I knew would be quite sweet (adapted from here) - 1 cup pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1 handful of spinach, 1 1/2 cups water. Top tip: put the spinach at the bottom so it gets blended properly.
I tell you what- and I know you will read this everywhere, but take it from a sceptic- this is pretty damn good! I will be adding ice next time, and a touch less water but otherwise I was happy with the combination. I am quite keen to try a few more different recipes. It really is a good way to squeeze that extra bit of spinach (iron + calcium) into your diet. I won't be making them a daily thing but at least once or twice a week I think will be good enough. Also remember to keep the ingredients to ones in season, it will be easier on your wallet & the fruit/vege will taste a lot fresher.

If you want to try out the green smoothies, here are a few posts with info and recipes:

-Rhiannon

No comments:

Post a Comment