Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday Featured Artist // Alyssa Acket

Yay - it's that time of week again! [I love writing these weekly series] This week’s feature artist is one of my closest friends, and I'm lucky enough to get to work with her every day. She has bucket loads of talent and is one of the most determined people I have ever met. You might recognise her from my recent art journaling weekend

We originally met during a teenage art workshop we both attended about 6 years ago. When it finished we exchanged numbers and did the whole ‘let’s keep in touch’ thing [which of course you hardly ever do when your about 16 and unbelievably shy like I was] but a couple of years later when I started my new job I swore I walked past her one day coming out of the lift. I still had her number so text her and asked if she just saw someone who looked like me. She had! And here we are, 4 years later. Say hi to my wonderful friend Alyssa.

**Note: some of the images below are from life drawing and hence are nude, some are also what some may consider grotesque. Usually not a problem for most people but felt I should mention it - you have been warned :)


Tell us a bit about yourself
My name is Alyssa. I am a 22 year old 2D animator and I live in Auckland, New Zealand. My passions are animation and most things creative. I doodle as much as I possibly can and dabble in paint, illustration, animation and anything else that takes my fancy!


What made you want to become an animator?
Really it was my love for drawing and cartoons, and the opportunity to be able to bring my own creations to life really drew me to it.




Can you explain what 2D Animation involves?
2D Animators first 'thumbnail' out a scene with the action they want to take place. They then make drawings called "Keys". Key drawings are the extreme points in the movement. E.g. First key: Man with leg out preparing to step. Second key: Man's foot contacting with ground and knee bending. And so on. Then the animator will 'inbetween' the key drawings. Inbetweens are drawings that fill out and smooth the movement. More inbetweens = slower movement. Less inbetweens = faster movement. After this first process of rough animation the scene will then be cleaned up. The same method as above but with smooth clean lines. The finished drawings are then scanned into the computer and coloured digitally.



Have you recieved any professional training?
I studied 2D for three years at Freelance Animation School (the place where I currently tutor first year) and have been taking Life Drawing classes since around the age of 16.


What are your dreams as an animator?
I'd love to work in a small-ish tight knit studio producing cartoons, ads or movies. Perhaps even open my own studio or my own business in the far future! 



Where would you like to be in 5 years?
I really couldn't say! I like to take things as they come and go with the flow (within reason) but I'd really just like to be actively animating and meeting more talented and inspirational people in the industry.


Where do you find inspiration for your illustrations?
Everywhere! A lot of the time music is a great inspiration for me but anything could set me off on a creative frenzy.


What medium do you use for your illustrations?
Mostly I sketch, ink and then photoshop. I use pencils, pens, markers, paints and anything that I can get my hands on. :)


Do you do comission work?
Definitely! Price is negotiable depending on what is wanted. I do paintings, sketches, inked sketches, coloured cartoon-style portraits and I'm always open to new ideas new things to try! Best thing to do is email me with what you would like and we can take it from there.

What are some of your favourite blogs?
Yours! I'm always super excited when you update. ;) Another is http://www.danellebourgeois.com/blog, she does amazing design and her cupcakes and baking never fail to make me salivate!


Where can we find you online?
You can find me at my blog: http://alyssacket.blogspot.com/
deviantart: http://candehfeind.deviantart.com/
tumblr: http://lissasketch.tumblr.com
Or you can email me: alyssa.acket [at] gmail [dot] com


I hope you all enjoyed meeting Alyssa and getting to see how animation works. Make sure you check out more of her work using the links above.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Rhiannon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment